Family Learning Conference: Maths Mindset: Engaging families to overcome maths anxiety
22 February 2024 | 9.30am-2.00pm | Online
Love it or hate it, maths is a skill that all of us need and use in our everyday lives. As families feel the impact of the cost-of-living, the advantages of being confident with numbers could not have been more compelling than in 2023. Most parents want their children to do well in mathematics but may be unsure about how to support this. Maths anxieties, biases and stereotypes, or lack of resources and opportunities can often hold families back from reaching their full potential.
“Good numeracy is the best protection against unemployment, low wages and poor health”. Andreas Schleicher of the OECD
With £560 million of Government investment in the
Multiply Numeracy programme until 2025 to boost both number confidence and
numeracy skills amongst adults you can’t afford not to be part of the maths
This conference will give delegates opportunities to:
- Discover creative and effective initiatives that will engage underserved and under-reached families with your maths activities or programming
- Understand how to help families overcome maths anxiety and build maths confidence
- Gain a richer understanding of how you can raise aspirations from the early years to Multiply adult numeracy programmes.
Confirmed keynote speakers and workshops
Paul Foss, Head of Impact and Evaluation, National Numeracy: Numeracy in the UK, an overview
- Engaging families with creative maths activities with Maths on Toast
- Maths through storytelling with Dr Natthapoj Vincent Trakulphadetkrai, Institute of Education, University of Reading
- Maths in museums with Thomas Briggs, TKB Maths & Museum Educational Services
- Maths mindsets: engaging families to overcome maths anxiety with Stacy Mann, Campaign for Learning
- Conquering adult maths anxiety with care in the classroom with Peter Whitehead, WM College
- Family numeracy Multiply project with Juliette Collier, Campaign for Learning
Who will benefit from attending?
This conference is ideal for colleagues working with families and are looking to boost engagement and confidence in maths including:
- adult and community learning practitioners
- family learning practitioners
- family engagement and support practitioners in schools, libraries and community settings
- musuem and gallery practitioners
- early years practitioners in nurseries, schools, family hubs and children centres
- Multiply programme managers and tutors supporting financial education and family numeracy
Early Bird until 8 January 2024 - £72.00 (including VAT)
Standard Ticket from 9 January 2024 - £90.00 (including VAT) (from 19 October 2023 onwards)
10% discount on all tickets for National Centre for Family Learning members - become a member for free and log in to get your discount!
How to book
Book your place by registering or signing in below.